Friday, June 12, 2009

"There's pride in every Americans heart and it's time we stand and say...

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me, And I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A." - Lee Greenwood

What a great and powerful song. One in a long list of American pride songs. After 9/11 this song was put back into heavy rotation on a number of radio stations.

I feel myself to be patriotic. I have a strong love of history and a great respect for things in this country taken for granted like our Flag, our Veterans, our men and women serving in our Armed Forces and our National Anthem.

The US Code states:

TITLE 36–PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES, CEREMONIES, AND ORGANIZATIONS
SUBTITLE I–PATRIOTIC AND NATIONAL OBSERVANCES AND CEREMONIES
PART A–OBSERVANCES AND CEREMONIES
CHAPTER 3–NATIONAL ANTHEM, MOTTO, FLORAL EMBLEM, AND MARCH
Section 301–National Anthem
Sec. 301. National anthem
(a) Designation.–The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.–During a rendition of the national anthem–
(1) when the flag is displayed–(A) all present except those in uniform should stand attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder,the hand being over the heart; and(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag

When I see a flag in a parade I stand. When I see a Veteran I say "Thank you for your service" and when I hear the National Anthem, I stop in place and stand until the last note. This is where this soap box rant is going.

Mom and I have been walking at night, getting some much needed exercise. We walk on the high school track because the track is easier on the joints and easier to keep count of how far you've gone. The last two nights the high school baseball team has had a game and at the beginning of the game they play the National Anthem. The first night mom and I were on the track, which sits next to the baseball field. We were pretty close to the dug out areas when we heard the announcer say, "Please rise for our National Anthem" Mom and I didn't even think twice and we stopped where we were and stood there until it was over. (Mom even had her hand over her heart) I was disgusted by others on the track who were running, jogging and walking also who kept on going. I know that may sound harsh to some, disgusted is a strong word and emotion but that is how I felt. Last, night we stood in the parking lot because you could hear it when you got out of the car and only when it was over did we walk over to the track.

What is wrong with people? I know the economy is in the toilet, we are still fighting wars for foreign lands and life is hard but come on, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I may not always agree with our government and I may not always understand why they do some of the things they do or the bills they pass and I may dislike some that are in office but our government is unique in that "we the people" decide who makes up the body of government we live by. However, I do support and have pride in our country. We do live in the best country in the world. I believe that so many other countries around the world dislike us because we are the best, the most free.

*stepping off my soap box* I just needed to vent, thank you for listening.

No comments: